My name is Barbara Kelly and I am the Learning Mentor at Lowerplace.
I have worked at Lowerplace for 15 years and feel passionate about my role supporting all children to reach their full potential, and breaking down barriers to their learning. My work often includes working with children with behavioural difficulties, complex emotional needs, special educational needs and children from families with challenging backgrounds.
I offer a comprehensive range of interventions and therapeutic inclusion programmes to our pupils. Usually, children’s needs are brought to me by the Class Teacher, however there are sometimes occasions where a parent may highlight a need which I am able to support.
Below are some examples of the interventions and services available at Lowerplace:
- Listening & learning skills
- Confidence, self-esteem & friendship skills
- Promoting positive behaviour
- Expressing emotions & feelings
- Assessing emotional literacy
- Training Playground Pals
- Understanding relationships
- Developing respect, genuineness and empathy
- Supporting with transition to high school
- Bereavement & loss
- Pyramid Clubs
- Behaviour Management
- Circle Time
- Children’s Counselling
- Social Use of Language Programme (SULP)
- Dinosaur School
- Sign-posting/referrals to other agencies